Viewer Discretion Advised

It’s finally May. Birds are chirping. The sun is shining. Graduates are graduating. Wait, what? Is it actually possible that an entire year of school has gone by already? After four glorious years at Cornell involving food fights at RPU, endless papers, wine tours, Greek life, prelims, gorges, gorging, Slope Days, library nights, caffeine and hundreds of movies, the Class of ’04’s Cornell experience has come to a close. The work we’ve done is nothing when compared to the friendships we’ve made. I would have done three times the amount of work if it meant keeping my college friends, all lined up on my shelf, forever. One for when I want to cook, one for when I want to gossip, one for when I need a belly laugh, one for when I need a crying shoulder, and one to go with me to the movies. So as you move on to graduate school, real life, or another year at Cornell, let these movies always remind you of the best years of your life.

The Graduate

One word. Plastics. This is the ultimate movie about what to do with yourself after you graduate college. How about have an illicit affair with your parents’ best friend? Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft were the original Ashton and Demi in this film that inspired slackers everywhere to look for a sugar mama. The awe-inspiring photography just adds to this intricately woven story of sex, betrayal, confusion and love. Go rent it. Now.

Animal House

John Belushi is at his best in National Lampoon’s comedy about college. About half of you reading this probably already have a poster of him in your room wearing a t-shirt that says “BEER.” The ultimate college experience plays out right in front of you, complete with wild sex and doing drugs with teachers. If it weren’t for this film, toga parties would be weird and rolling on the floor to the tune of “Shout!” would be weirder.

Rudy

Focusing on a school not at all like Cornell may help to ease the blow of graduating college. A football movie set in Notre Dame (surprise, surprise); the true story of Rudy Ruettiger comes to life on screen. Rudy has wanted to play for the Notre Dame football team his entire life, but he just can’t seem to make the team. However, his positive attitude and love for the team eventually get him on the field. Don’t worry, the film comes complete with the slow chant –“Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!” This movie can make a grown man cry. Cool huh?

Old School

This film is a new favorite that is sure to become an old classic. This is the story of a group of friends who try to rediscover themselves by starting an non-discriminating fraternity on their old alma matta. With Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn in lead roles, this movie is sure to please. It’ll remind you of the first time you funneled a beer (“Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank!”) and the last time you woke up with someone in your bed that you didn’t recognize.

Archived article by Alyssa Cohen
Red Letter Daze Staff Writer