Red Tops Lions in Ivy Opener

Bolstered by the return of its two starting forwards, the women’s soccer team won its first Ivy League game of the season, beating Columbia 2-1 Saturday morning in New York. The Red (4-1-2, 1-0 Ivy) relied on a new formation to disrupt the Lions (5-3-0, 0-1 Ivy) — ending Columbia’s five-game winning streak in the process. After losing its first game of the season on Wednesday to Bucknell, the booters rebounded to clinch this important victory.

“We knew we played well against Bucknell, so we weren’t too disappointed about the loss,” said freshman Mariye Wick. “It was fine getting the loss out of the way and just getting ready for the [Ivy] season.”

While the Red has experienced a lot of physical play in past games this season, it was not a factor against Columbia.

“It was a good, intense game, but my hat is off to Columbia. This was a really good, quality Ivy League game,” said head coach Berhane Andeberhan. “I obviously prefer our style of play, but [Columbia] really played a good soccer game, and so did we. We really took the game away in the first half.”

The Red implemented a new formation against the Lions, using a hybrid outside midfielder-defender. Sophomore co-captain Whitney Hughes, playing as one of the hybrids, served the ball from the outside in the 13th minute, and junior co-captain Shannon Fraser headed the ball off the post. Junior Kara Ishikawa was there to get the rebound, and she put the loose ball home for her third goal of the season.

Cornell’s new formation caught the Lions off guard, and the Red played a possession game that generated scoring chances in the first half.

“It definitely caused a lot of problems for Columbia, in the first half especially. They couldn’t figure out what we were doing,” Wick said. “I think it caused a lot of confusion. We were really able to use the outside to possess the ball.”

Columbia struck back early in the second half, when Bailey Schroeder headed the ball off a Shannon Munoz free kick in the 49th minute to notch the equalizer. “We got scored upon at a moment when our composure was at its best. They were dominating the game for about 10 to 15 minutes, and during that span, they scored,” Andeberhan said. “We just regained [our edge]. I didn’t say anything to [our team], they just dug in and retrieved the game and played well until the end.”

With time winding down in regulation, the Red won a corner kick in the 76th minute. Junior Kelly Bowen took the kick, which bounced off several players before freshman Kelly Kosco put the ball in the back of the net for her first collegiate goal.

The Red got a boost from its leaders up front — Fraser and senior co-captain Emily Wyffels both returned from injuries — and was able to come away with a big league win.

“Their ability is tremendous, but also they’re very respected leaders on and off the field,” Andeberhan said. “They also have that experience, so when we were playing the possession game, they continue to insist on playing the possession game when distractions happen. Even though they didn’t play the whole time, we were very happy to have them back.”

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach