Greek Groups Hold Fall Rush

Cornell fraternities and sororities held their fall recruitment events last week.

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association held fall recruitment open houses on Sept. 18 and 19 for all sophomore, junior, and transfer students.

Potential new members visited houses that participated in fall recruitment. They also received information about Greek life at Cornell.

Fraternities and sororities at Cornell encourage all students to get involved in the Greek System.

Mark Pincus ’05, vice president of recruitment for the Interfraternity Council said that fall recruitment is a great way for students to become more familiar with Greek life at Cornell.

“I’m in charge of overseeing the recruitment process for all 39 fraternities on campus,” Pincus said.

“Fall recruitment is different from spring in that it is much more informal for the fraternities. Students are able to meet the members, see the houses, and decide if they want to go Greek,” he added.

There is a smaller base of students who are looking to join in the fall semester.

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association do not permit freshman students to go through the fall recruitment process.

“Freshman aren’t allowed to rush in their first semester because the University feels it is better for them to get acquainted before going through the recruitment process,” Pincus said. “It is a good idea because students will be able to get a feel for the school, establish themselves, meet new people, and eventually decide if the Greek system is right for them.” All transfer students and students who are sophomores and juniors are allowed to rush.

“It is much more up to the houses. Approximately two-thirds of the fraternity chapters on campus participate in fall recruitment, while every chapter must participate in formal membership recruitment in the spring,” Pincus said.

Some fraternity chapters chose not to hold fall recruitment.

“Some chapters may already have enough members, or they may decide that having a pledge class is a burden on the house. This process is very informal,” Pincus said.

Stephanie Grossman ’06, is the vice president of recruitment for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega.

“I think fall recruitment is a great way for girls who didn’t get the opportunity to see the different chapters. If a girl did not rush in the spring or is new to Cornell, fall recruitment can be the best way to become involved in sorority life,” Grossman said.

“Fall recruitment for sororities is a lot more informal because girls get to choose which houses they want to go to. It is a lot easier for both the potential new members as well as the sisters to go through fall recruitment,” she added.

The sororities which held fall recruitment included Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Omicron Pi, and Delta Delta Delta.

“It is comforting to know that so many people want to become involved even in the fall,” Grossman said. “We are eager to meet the new pledges and show them how fun and rewarding Greek life is at Cornell.”

Archived article by Allison Markowitz