Women's Soccer Team Drops Second Ivy Contest to Crimson

Looking for its second Ivy win, the women’s soccer team traveled to Boston this past weekend to face Harvard (4-4-2, 2-1 Ivy), but came up on the losing end of a 4-1 contest. The Red (4-4-2, 1-2 Ivy) will try to snap its three-game losing streak when it travels to face Syracuse (6-5-2, 1-4-1 Big East) tonight at 5:30 p.m.

The Red got on the board early against the Crimson, as junior co-captain Shannon Fraser scored in the 11th minute. Fraser collected her own rebound after her initial shot hit the crossbar, putting the ball past Harvard goalie Katie Shields for her first goal of the season.

Harvard answered back in the 32nd minute, when Alisha Morgan retrieved a rebound off of a Danielle Mirabal shot, and beat Cornell goalie Katie Thomas to notch the equalizer. The Crimson took the lead in the 65th minute, as Falyne Chave set up teammate Katie Johnson, who buried the ball in the upper right corner of the goal.

Mirabal added another goal for the Crimson in the 84th minute, poking the ball away from Thomas to score on the empty net. Brittany Meeks, who assisted on Mirabal’s goal, netted Harvard’s fourth goal with 15 seconds left in the game.

Thomas finished the game with six saves for Cornell, while Shields stopped five for the Crimson. Fraser registered five of the Red’s 10 shots in the contest.

Syracuse enters tonight’s contest having dropped three straight conference matches. The Orange only recorded three shots in a 1-0 loss to Rutgers on Sunday, and have scored only two goals in its last four games. Sophomore Molly McManus leads the team in scoring with three goals and two assists, while senior Shana Thomas also has netted three goals. Between the pipes for the Orange is Shannon Myers, who has recorded a 1.11 goals against average and three shutouts in 12 starts this season.

The Red has never defeated Syracuse in the team’s seven meetings since the series began in 1997. Syracuse upped its record to 6-0-1 against Cornell with a 3-0 win last season in Ithaca. The Red will face Yale this Saturday at Berman Field for a 12 p.m. contest, before heading back on the road next Wednesday to face Army.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach