Men's Soccer Still Looking For First Ivy League Win

A tough season for the Red (1-10-0, 0-4-0 Ivy) became more difficult on Saturday, as the team dropped to a 2-0 loss to Brown (6-4-2, 2-2-0 Ivy) in Providence, R.I.

Goals by sophomore Andrew Daniels and senior Marcos Romaneiro proved to be the difference between the two sides, as the Red only managed three shots and no corner kicks throughout the full 90 minutes.

The Red, which has now dropped its first four Ivy League encounters this season, battled evenly in the first half until the 35th minute, when the Bears drew first blood. After receiving a pass from junior Keith Caldwell, freshman Laurent Manuel delivered a cross which found the head of Daniels, who scored his fourth goal in five games.

While he has not seen the game film, head coach Bryan Scales said that Daniels’ goal was “dubious,” citing the fact that Red senior goalkeeper David Mahoney caught the ball and fell to his knees to smother it before the linesman ruled that the ball questionably crossed the goal line. Still, giving up the first goal hurt the Red’s momentum.

“It was a tough goal to give up in the first half, which was pretty even,” Scales said.

In the second half, the Red was unable to find an equalizer, with Brown’s defense limiting the amount of opportunities its opposition created. And in the 75th minute, the Bears sealed the result.

Brown freshman Ngange Akale found space at the top edge of the penalty box before passing to Romaneiro. After Romaneiro dribbled past a slew of Red defenders, his low shot beat Mahoney — giving the forward his 12th point of the season.

Scales said that the back four played well — especially consistent seniors Scott Palguta and Peter Lynch. According to the coach, their strong play forced the frustrated Bears to generate offense by launching long balls into the Red’s attacking third in the first half. Still, Scales noted that Brown became dangerous and scored both of its goals when Cornell gave the ball away in the midfield and the defense lost its shape.

And while the team had its chances with free kick opportunities and crosses into Brown’s penalty box, Scales said that the Red had trouble taking care of the ball during counter-attacks.

“You have to give Brown credit,” Scales said. “I thought they out-competed us in certain stretches.”

The team’s next match gives it a break from Ivy League action, when it travels to Penn State on Wednesday night. Although the Red again put in a strong effort on Saturday and had put together some good stretches of soccer throughout the season, Scales and the team know that only one thing is truly important.

“The results matter and for us, how we judge ourselves, the result is obviously the ultimate decider on how things go,” Scales said. “I thought we put in a decent effort but we fell short once again. It’s frustrating.”

Game Notes

Mahoney, who transferred from Brown after his freshman year, had six saves on the game … his counterpart, Brown netminder Chris Gomez, had two … Palguta led his team in shots with two … Brown has now shut out the Red in its last three meetings and Cornell has not defeated the Bears since 1999 … the Bears have extended its all-time record against the Red to 29-19-4.

Archived article by Brian Tsao
Sun Senior Editor