Krasna Aids Lady Hoops

On Oct. 2 and 3, freshman Lindsay Krasna competed against 40 other women in West Hempstead, N.Y. for one of the coveted 12 spots on the United States women’s open Maccabiah basketball team. Firing shots as accurately as a marksman, Krasna was able to beat out some players from the best programs in the country.

‘I am thrilled that she is representing Cornell in the Maccabiah games. This is wonderful for Lindsay and her family,’ said Cornell head coach Dayna Smith. ‘During tryouts she went up against top notch players and really put the ball in the hoops. It is something very, very special. During this experience Lindsay will play alongside some big time programs across the country and the experience she will gain from traveling overseas will be very valuable to the team.’

For the past three years Krasna has participated in the junior Maccabiah Games held in the United States. This participation did not go unnoticed and Krasna was invited to try out for the team competing in the 17th Maccabiah tournament, which will be held in Israel in July.

‘I was really impressed by the talent, ‘ Krasna said of the level of play she experienced at tryouts.

The Maccabiah Games, sometimes referred to as the ‘Jewish Olympics’, attract the most outstanding Jewish athletes from around the world. As one of the largest, elite, competitions, the Maccabiah has grown to more than 6,000 athletes from over 50 countries. The best Jewish athletes come from all over the world to compete in an Olympic-style competition in Israel every four years. For two weeks, Jews of all ages and backgrounds convene to share their culture, their history and their values in a world-class competition. Maccabiah Games alumni include swimmers Mark Spitz and Lenny Krayzelburg, gymnasts Mitch Gaylord and Kerri Strug, National Basketball Association stars Ernie Grunfeld, Dolph Schayes and Danny Schayes, golfer Bruce Fleisher, tennis pros Brad Gilbert and Dick Savitt, World Cup soccer star Jeff Agoos and Olympic triathlete Joanna Zeiger.The 17th Maccabiah will be held July 10-21, 2005.

Although Krasna hopes to secure her place in history among these past athletes, she is focused on Cornell”s upcoming season. Hailing from Yarley, Pa., Krasna is known for her ability to put shots in the hoop. After the women”s basketball team lost six seniors to graduation, including all five starters, Krasna will have a leadership role in the upcoming years.

Krasna is excited about the upcoming season.

‘The level of play is more intense on another level than my high school experience,’ she said. ‘The college players are different then high school players because they are more focused.’

Krasna is currently planning to major in nutritional sciences. When not found on the basketball court, she plans to spend time working at a Cornell Fitness Center perfecting her card swipe.

Although she would love to practice her vocal chords in an a capela group, Krasna will need to preserve her voice for the leadership role she expectes to play in the upcoming years.

Archived article by Cassie Resnick
Sun Contributor