Swimmers Open Seasons

After going 0-7 against Ivy League teams last season, the women’s swim team has already improved upon that record by winning its first meet against Dartmouth this past Saturday.

The team’s record now stands at 1-1 in both the overall standings and in the Ivy League after splitting the dual meet with a win over Dartmouth, 154-146, and a loss to Harvard, 176-124.

“I was pleased with the girls’ efforts,” said women’s coach John Holohan. “We had a really good team effort.”

The women found that their effort in practice paid off in both individual and relay events. Senior Stephanie Kusko, junior Holly Chance, junior Elissa Kline and freshman Leah Tourtellotte led the women to a first place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:35.31.

The woman came in over three seconds ahead of second place Dartmouth and four places ahead of Harvard’s top finishing relay team.

“I am pleased with the fact that they really functioned as a team,” Holohan said.

Tourtellotte had an outstanding debut in individual events as well as relays. She won the 100-yard freestyle event, while Kline and Chance finished second and third, respectively.

Tourtellotte also took first in the 50-yard freestyle and third in the 200-yard freestyle events.

Junior Jessica Brookman gave a strong performance by finishing first in the 100-yard backstroke and being the only swimmer under the one-minute mark. She also came in first in the 200-yard backstroke and third in the 100-yard butterfly.

The end result was also the same for the men’s swim team (1-1, 1-1 EISL) as they split Friday’s dual meet by winning against Dartmouth, 200-100, and losing to Harvard, 195-104.

“We had an excellent showing,” said men’s coach Joe Lucia. “It was our top guys against their top guys. Harvard won [many events], but we were very close.”

From the beginning, Cornell’s 400-yard medley relay team set the tone for the meet. Senior Danny Diette, junior Stefano Caprara, sophomore Dave McKechnie and senior Doug Ernst swam to second place in the event, only one second behind winner Harvard.

The Red stayed close with Harvard for the rest of the meet. Caprara posted a pool record by winning the 100-yard backstroke in 52.09. Caprara also took second in the 200-yard backstroke, coming in two seconds behind Harvard’s David Cromwell.

McKechnie added a victory in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 57.81. The sophomore also finished second in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Also giving excellent performances were sophomore Mike Smit (second in both the 200- and 500-yard freestyle events) and freshman Zach Aburahama (second in the 200-yard butterfly). Ernst contributed to second place finishes in both the 400-yard medley and 200-yard freestyle relays.

Along with second place finisher sophomore Mike Balint, Ernst and freshman Brad Gorter helped Cornell to take second, third and fourth in the 50-yard freestyle, all finishing with times under 22 seconds.

The men’s and women’s teams will travel to Philadelphia to take on Princeton and rival Penn this weekend.

Archived article by Kristina Kovach