Squash Faces First Ivy Foes on Road

This weekend the Cornell men’s and women’s squash teams head on the road for the first time this season to face the formidable trio of Franklin & Marshall, Penn, and Princeton.

Not only will this be the first league action the players will face this season, but it will also be new head coaches Mark and Julee Devoys’ first chance to see their teams on the court.

“I hope to learn a lot this weekend.” Devoy said “I am excited to see what the college scene is all about.”

This weekend Devoy’s women will face one unfamiliar foe and two daunting Ivy challenges. Both Penn and Princeton beat the women 9-0 last season — results which are not likely to be repeated this year. This time the women enter the matches coming off a positive experience at last weekend’s Ivy Scrimmages and the enthusiasm surrounding their new coach.

“We are looking to play some good matches this weekend.” Devoy said “It will be great experience for the girls to play on such a steep learning curve.”

As for the men there is nothing but high expectations and anticipation of victory going into this weekend.

“I expect us to get three wins.” Mark said “These matches are good tests early in the season and we are fired up to take it to [Penn and Princeton].”

This season the Red comes in looking to improve its ranking early and build up a successful season.

“I would like to regain our top five ranking.” junior Matt Serediak said “This weekend plays a major part in determining that.”

Indeed, both Penn and Princeton will be hard fought contests for the Red; yet, if the Red’s recent play carries into this season, they will be on their way to achieving Serediak’s goal. Last season, the Red won a decisive 6-3 victory over Penn, and, in last weekend’s Ivy Scrimmages, they pushed 4th ranked Princeton. “It is going to be a tough test and we will need everyone to play their best squash.” Serediak said “But I have faith in the guys.I think we can do it.” Both sides begin play on Friday at Franklin & Marshall.

Archived article by Matt Gorman
Sun Contributor