Dartmouth Lets Lyons Go After 1-9 Season

Yesterday, just ten days after Dartmouth completed its worst season in program history, head coach John Lyons took the fall, ending a 13-year tenure with the Green. He compiled a 60-68-1 record in his 13 years, including two Ivy League championships and a perfect 10-0 record in 1996. But the Green has not had a winning record since 1997, and finally hit rock bottom with this year’s 1-9 (1-6 Ivy League) finish.

“As difficult a decision as this was, it is a good time to make this move in order to change the direction of the program,” Dartmouth athletic director Josie Harper said in a statement released yesterday. From 1995-97, the Green went 25-4-1. But Dartmouth has gone 16-53 since then. The only win this year was a 20-7 victory over Brown on Nov. 13. In his 13 years with the Green, Lyons compiled a 5-8 record against Cornell, including this season’s 14-7 Red victory on Nov. 6 at Schoellkopf Field.

“I’ve known John Lyons since he was an assistant in the league when I was being recruited,” said Cornell head coach Jim Knowles ’87. “He’s given a lot to this league, and this just shows how tough a business this is.”

Lyons graduated from Penn in 1974 and was a three-year letter winner at defensive back for the Quakers. He later served as an assistant coach at Penn for 11 years, including a stint as defensive coordinator.

Dartmouth officials said that a national search for Lyons’ successor will begin immediately.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Archived article by Owen Bochner
Sun Sports Editor