AAP Students, Professors Remember Adrian Law '05

Students, faculty and administrators in the College of Art, Architecture and Planning gathered to mourn the loss of Adrian Dik Che Law ’05 yesterday. Law, a fifth year architecture student, ended his own life on Jan. 14 in Hong Kong.

The memorial service and reception were held in the Hartell Gallery in Sibley Hall, where an exhibition of Law’s architecture, art and photographs has been on display since Monday.

At the service, Mohsen Mostafavi, dean of the AAP School, as well as Law’s former professors and a friend of Law’s remembered their colleague and friend. As they recalled his passion for architecture and his infectious personality, a slideshow of Law’s personal photographs ran in the background.

Prof. Vincent Mulcahy, one of Law’s instructors, reflected on Law’s humor and the sensitivity of his designs. One project that came to mind was a public bath house for the homeless that Law had designed while studying in Rome.

Mulcahy praised Law for integrating Rome’s traditions, culture and legacy of humanism into the design.

“There are some projects that you never forget,” he said.

Students and faculty alike remembered Law’s humor and playfulness as well as his unique designs and artistic convictions. Gazing at the walls plastered in artwork, one of Law’s former professors exclaimed, “I think this [exhibition] is Adrian’s gift to us! It is such a commitment to this enterprise that he loved.”

Nathan Wight ’05, a good friend of Law’s, reiterated Law’s commitment to art and design.

“His heartfelt enthusiasm for this crazy world we live in is a gift he left us,” he said.

Mostafavi agreed that Law’s artistry was brilliantly unique.

“It’s so incredible [to observe] the actual potential of this work,” he said.

Following comments from faculty members and friends, the roughly 175 memorial attendees quietly hugged and wept.

They mingled around the room and admired Law’s work — his models, his paintings, his photographs and various multimedia designs. In addition to architecture students, faculty members and administrators, Kent Hubble ’67, dean of students, and President Jeffrey S. Lehman ’77 paid their respects and attended the event.

The exhibition will remain in the Hartell Gallery until the end of the day.

Archived article by Ellen Miller
Sun Senior Writer