Men's Hockey Continues to Climb in National Polls

Boosted by a pair of victories over ECACHL foes RPI and Union, the men’s hockey team continued its climb up both the USCHO.com/CSTV and USA Today Division I men’s hockey polls earning second and third place positions in the respective rankings.

Both polls kept the same top six teams from a week ago, though the orders of those teams were significantly juggled.

In the USCHO.com/CSTV poll, Denver, despite a split with Minnesota-Duluth at home, continued its reign in the top spot, picking up 16 of the available 40 first place votes. The Red, with 14 first place votes, jumped up two spots into a second place tie with Colorado College.

Though the same three teams made up the top three in the USA Today poll, the trio was ranked in a completely different order. The Red, despite receiving the most first place votes with 12, had to settle for the third position while Colorado barely edged out Denver for the top spot.

Meanwhile, Michigan, with an impressive sweep over Notre Dame this past weekend, grabbed the 4th place in both polls. Boston College fell into the No. 5 positon after losing two games to Massachusets-Lowell over the weekend.

Following the Eagles, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Ohio State, Boston University and Massachusets-Lowell rounded out the top ten in both polls.

Cornell’s ECACHL rivals Harvard and Colgate retained their positions among the top 15 teams in the nation.

Although each won twice over the weekend, both the Crimson and Raiders dropped two slots to the No. 11 and No. 13 positions respectively in both polls. ECACHL teams Dartmouth and Vermont also earned recognition from both rankings.

The Red will hit the road this upcoming weekend, as it travels up north to St. Lawrence and Clarkson in an effort to wrap up the regular season ECACHL title.

Archived article by Sun Staff