Freshmen Hit The Ground Running

The 2004-2005 season has been one of major steps forward for the Red track squad. It has managed to maintain its position as one of the top programs in the country, while at the same time it has ensured that its future will continue to be bright. In addition to the core contingent of upperclassmen superstars that has sustained the success of the Red, a talented group of freshmrn has helped to make the Red one of the most feared teams in the league from top to bottom this year.

Both the men’s and women’s programs have benefited from the addition of the freshman class. For the men, Jordan Lester has made an immediate impact on the Red as a runner. Lester, a sprinter from Syracuse, has rewritten the Cornell record books in his first season. He is an IC4A qualifier who was named the ECAC Division I track athlete of the week in January, and he has owned the 60- and the 200-meter races for most of the season. The Red have also seen consistent production from Saidu Ezike and Oliver Tassinari, who recently climbed to third place all-time at Cornell with a time of 4:06.90 in the mile at the Kane Invitational. Muhammad Halim, from Albion, N.Y., has taken the lead among the freshman jumpers — placing consistently in the top five throughout the season. The Red has also been boosted by strong performances from Mike Fox in the 60-hurdles.

For the women the freshman class has been just as crucial as it has for the men. Thrower Maria Telloni of Massillon, Ohio has emerged as a superstar within the league, dominating the shot put event. On the track, Joan Casey has taken on a significant role as one of the top runners on the women’s squad, consistently placing in the top three of the 60-meter hurdles. Along with Casey, Anjelica Gregory finished third in the 800-meter at the Yale dual meet earlier this season with a time of 2:16.46.

The success of the freshmen this season has laid the groundwork for what will undoubtedly be a future studded with triumphs. This weekend at the 2005 Heptagonal championships in Cambridge, Mass., the Red and its stellar freshman class will look to continue their dominance.

Archived article by Jacob Lieberman