Tennis Teams Hit the Courts

The women’s tennis team will hope to continue its winning ways when it hosts UMBC (2-3) and University of Massachusetts (4-3) this weekend on tomorrow and Sunday, respectively.

The Red defeated Colgate, 6-1, last Tuesday, improving its season record to 4-2. The bottom of the order continued to impress when senior Melissa Tu did not drop a single set to Colgate’s Ali Grabler in the sixth singles spot.

“We have a very strong bottom [of the order], which really takes the pressure away from the top,” said senior Akane Kokubo.

Against the Raiders, Kokubo lost the Red’s the only match, dropping a three set match to Colgate’s Marissa Alikpala.

The Red will capitalize on its strength as a whole this weekend, as it looks to boost its 4-2 record before beginning its Ivy League matches in April.

“I think these matches are winnable,” said women’s head coach Laura Glitz. “I am looking for everyone to play well in their spots.”

Kokubo echoed Glitz’s sentiment.

“Going into these matches, we are pretty confident. We have a great team chemistry this season, and we have really been helping out each other to improve our game. Practices haven’t been just to improve our own games, but our teammates’ [games] as well,” Kokubo said.

The UMBC Retrievers were defeated last Friday by Dartmouth, 7-0, but went on to crush University of New Hampshire the next day, 6-1. The University of Massachusetts has not been on the court for two weeks, since being defeated by Columbia and Seton Hall, 5-2.

The men’s tennis team hits to road, as it travels to Corpus Christi, Texas, this weekend to compete in the HEB championships. Cornell will be one of fourteen Division I teams competing in dual-match format competition throughout the weekend. Each team is guaranteed to play at least four matches during the tournament, two of which will occur today.

Several nationally-ranked teams will be present, including South Alabama (No. 32), Texas Tech (No. 35), Middle Tennessee (No. 37), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (No. 52) and Nebraska (No. 70). The other teams include New Orleans, Southeast Louisiana, UAB, Arkansas-Little Rock, and Middle Tennesse, the No. 1 seed.

Archived article by Erin Garry
Sun Contributor