W. Lax Faces Three Top Teams

The women’s lacrosse team will begin its spring break in Northern California, and then head home by way of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The Red will meet Stanford tomorrow, and No. 15 Ohio State on Tuesday. The team will close out its break on Friday, with a conference game against No. 19 Penn.

Cornell (1-1) is coming off a 14-7 loss at No. 7 Hofstra on Saturday.

The young Red team made a number of offensive and defensive mistakes, and Cornell had difficulty in the transition game.

“We have to get our game solid,” said head coach Jenny Graap ’86. “The number one priority is to be able to have confidence in our game. It shouldn’t matter who our opponent is. We should be able to bring our best game.”

Stanford (3-2) last played two weeks ago, when the Cardinal lost to No. 3 Georgetown in Palo Alto.

“I would say that Stanford has some talented players,” Graap said. “A lot of their players are girls that we’ve recruited and we know.”

The Cardinal offense is led by Sarah Bach, who has 12 goals.

“There’s no easy game among the three,” Graap said. “Stanford is important to get us back on track. [But it’s] one step at a time.”

The game will be something of a homecoming for new Cornell assistant coach Abbi Hills. The 2004 Stanford graduate led the Cardinal in goals last year, and she is one of the school’s all-time offensive leaders.

On Tuesday, the Red will meet Ohio State (3-1) in Columbus, Ohio.

The Buckeyes upset then-No. 6 Johns Hopkins last week. Freshman attack Kelly Kramer had six goals in the game and was named the insidelacrose.com Division I National Player of the Week.

Ohio State is also strong in net. Goalie Kim Hasting recorded 14 saves against Johns Hopkins, and she had 10 against Virginia Tech.

On Friday, Cornell will open up its Ivy League season at Penn (2-1), in Philadelphia. Last year, Penn beat Cornell, 13-7. Penn’s offense is led by Ali Ryan and Rachel Manson. Both have recorded seven goals this year.

“We need to attack this and get on track with our rivalry with Penn,” Graap said.

Archived article by Ted Nyman