Men's Lax Travels To Dartmouth

Crimson, orange, and green. Although this may sound like a box of crayons, it is actually a list of the most recent opponents for the men’s lacrosse team.

Tomorrow afternoon, the No. 8 Red (6-2, 3-0 Ivy) will complete this colorful slate, as it travels to Dartmouth (5-2, 1-0 Ivy) for a 1 p.m. meeting against the No. 11 Green.

Cornell is riding a four-game winning steak, including a 16-6 win over Harvard and a thrilling 16-14 win over No. 6 Syracuse on Tuesday night at the Carrier Dome.

“I think we are confident, but not over confident,” said Cornell head coach Jeff Tambroni. “The guys have done a great job of focusing on what’s in front, rather than what’s behind.”

In those two wins, the Red received outstanding individual efforts en route to victory. Against the Crimson, a trio of seniors stole the show — Sean Greenhalgh, Kevin Nee, and Justin Redd. Greenhalgh tallied a game-high five goals to go along with his two assists, while Nee chipped in with four goals and a pair of assists. Redd notched a game-high three assists.

Against the Orange, junior Joe Boulukos turned in an outstanding performance, as he netted an assist and a career-high seven goals. Boulukos and the Red were aided on the offensive end by four goals from junior Derek Haswell and three assists from sophomore Brian Clayton.

“We’ve tried to develop an offense that highlights as many of our guys as possible,” Tambroni said.

Finding someone to score hasn’t been a problem for the Red during its win streak, as the team has scored either 15 or 16 goals in all four games, and has an average margin of victory of 7 1/2 goals over that stretch. Yet Tambroni thinks that the credit for this belongs as much to the defense than the offense.

“The defense has created a lot of opportunities … that we’ve cashed in on,” Tambroni said.

Meanwhile, the Green comes into tomorrow’s contest riding a win streak of its own, as it has beaten both No. 9 Notre Dame and Penn, in its lone Ivy game thus far this season. Both the Irish and the Quakers have also fell to the Red this season, but is something Tambroni will not put much stock into.

“I don’t think you can really compare matchups,” Tambroni said. “There’s just too many differences. We try not to read too much into that.”

In the Green’s 10-9 win over Notre Dame, Dartmouth senior Ben Grinnell paced the team with four goals, while sophomore Nick Bonacci tallied two goals and two assists.

Bonacci had the exact same stat line against the Quakers, tallying two goals and two assists, while Grinnell chipped in with a goal and an assist of his own. In the game, Dartmouth went up 8-4 before Penn’s late rally fell just short, as the game ended with an 8-7 final score. The eventual game-winning goal was scored by junior attacker Ryan Danehy, 52 seconds into the final quarter.

“At every position, they have some of the best talent in the Ivy League,” Tambroni said. Last year when Dartmouth and Cornell met, the Red used a Greenhalgh goal with four seconds left to just squeak by with a 12-11 win on Schoellkopf Field.

“It came down to one play and we caught a break,” Tambroni said. “I think they do [want revenge]. We felt the same way going into the Penn game this year.”

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Sports Editor