Cornell Crews Host Competition on Cayuga

Now entering their last home races of the season, the Cornell rowers look to add one more victory to their records before focusing on their preparation for their respective championships. Tomorrow, the women and lightweight crews will face Dartmouth on Cayuga Inlet, while the heavyweights will host Rutgers.

With a little over two weeks left until their league championships, the crews plan on making the most of their last race.

“After [tomorrow] we have the championships, so this is out last chance to get in a full race against an opponent,” said lightweight captain senior Colin Farrell. “We want to solidify our race plan and what we want to do during the races.”

The lightweights are coming off their third straight victory going into facing Dartmouth this weekend. Last weekend, the rowers recorded a first place finish in 5:53.1 at home against MIT and Columbia after coming out on top against Yale, Rutgers and Princeton on April 16 and 17.

The victories have given the rowers confidence before going into this weekend’s match-up. “We are definitely confident,” Farrell said. “But there is always pressure to perform.”

Against Rutgers and strong league competitor Yale, Dartmouth finished third in the varsity eight race. The second varsity eight managed to pull out a second place finish in 5:30.75. Despite entering tomorrow’s race ranked above Dartmouth, the lightweights will not let their confidence get the best of them.

“Dartmouth is not ranked as high as we are, but we feel that everyone is so competitive in our league,” Farrell said. “Anything can happen on any given day, and we are expecting that it will be a good race.”

The women, trying to bounce back after a tough loss to Brown and Columbia last weekend, look to take on a Dartmouth crew that has had trouble recording victories this season. In its last race, the Red’s varsity eight finished at 6:52.78, taking third place. A narrow margin separated Cornell from second place Columbia, but Brown dominated, finishing the race in 6:39.68.

Tomorrow, the women will face a Dartmouth squad that is coming off a tough match-up against Princeton and Penn. Dartmouth finished the varsity eight race 10 seconds behind Princeton and just narrowly won over the Quakers. The Green failed to record any victories on the day.

This race will be the women’s last before they head to Seattle to compete against the University of Washington.

Although falling to Princeton last weekend, the heavyweight men pulled out a victory over Yale to finish in second place. This weekend, the men will host Rutgers, just a week before they join the women in Seattle.

Against the Tigers and the Bulldogs, the Red had a strong showing in the second varsity race, as the rowers earned a tight victory. Although the freshmen were not as successful, they will have another chance to finish on top this weekend.

The Scarlet Knights go into tomrrow’s competition with a 3-4 record after being swept by Northeastern last weekend. This will be their last chance to add another win before heading into the Eastern Area of Rowing Colleges Sprint Championships, to be held on May 15. Although the focus this weekend will be primarily on adding a final victory to their records, this race will also be the last home race for the seniors.

Like Farrell, many seniors hope to finish on top while looking towards the championships. “This is the last race for the seniors at home, and we see it as a good stepping stone into the championships,” Farrell said.

Archived article by ristina Kovach