Hynes Signs With Anaheim

After three seasons at Lynah Rink, senior Shane Hynes will forego a chance to help the Red towards another NCAA tournament berth, as he will trade in his Cornell sweater for an Anaheim Mighty Ducks jersey after signing with the team on August 19. The terms of the contract were not released.

Hynes made the move after attending a conditioning camp in Anaheim last month and a series of talks which inevitably led to the contract offer that Hynes signed.

The forward was selected by the Ducks in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft in the third round as the 86th selection. The Calgary, Alberta, native was to serve the role as assistant captain this season after a 2004-05 season in which he scored seven goals and dished out 21 assists, making him the Red’s second-leading scorer. The 21 assists were the seventh-leading total in the ECACHL

For his career, the 6-3, 225-pound forward scored 27 goals and tallied 39 assists in his 95 career games played. Thirteen of his 27 goals came on the power play, while two were game-winners. The two game-winners were important ones, as the first was in a victory over MSU-Mankato in the NCAA East regional his freshman year and then in a 1-0 victory over Harvard at Lynah Rink on Dec. 6 of his sophomore year.

Hynes was an integral part of the Red’s success over the past three seasons, as the team won three Ivy titles and two ECACHL regular season and tournament crowns during his stay. The team also appeared in two NCAA tournaments and the 2002-03 Frozen Four while Hynes graced the ice for Cornell.

After notching 11 goals and nine assists in his freshman season and nine goals and nine assists in his sophomore campaign, Hynes exploded for 21 assists in his junior season in 33 games. One of his highlights from last season included a three-assist game in a 3-0 win over Canisius on Nov. 27, while his best nights as a sophomore came at the beginning of the season as he scored a goal and tallied two assists in a contest with Western Michigan, followed by a goal in the Red’s next game, an outing at Yale, and two assists the next night at Princeton.

The Red’s season will begin without Hynes on Oct. 15 for the Red-White Scrimmage and then the regular season two weeks later against Michigan State.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Sports Editor