Sirius Satellite Radio Set to Broadcast Ivy League Sports

In a bold development to promote Ancient Eight athletics onto the national scene, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and the Ivy League agreed to a multi-year pact earlier this month, to broadcast games for several varsity sports.

SIRIUS will feature a “Game of the Week” for men’s basketball and football, as well as a number of other games from sports, including men’s hockey, throughout the year.

“Anytime you get a chance to have some national exposure for your athletic programs, it’s a tremendous opportunity,” said Jeremy Hartigan, director of Cornell Athletic Communications. “To my knowledge, we’re going to be one of the first major conferences to have games on SIRIUS or any kind of satellite radio.”

All eight teams in the conference will be showcased at one time or another throughout the year, although the exact broadcasting schedules have not been determined yet, even though Hartigan expects that they will be released soon.

“SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers an outstanding sports lineup and we’re very excited to be a part of it,” said Ivy League Executive Director Jeff Orleans. “Joining with SIRIUS gives us a wonderful opportunity to provide Ivy League sports to a national and growing audience.”

Despite the fact that the Ivies might not be the most renowned conference in college athletics, Hartigan indicated that the league has always taken strong steps to be on the forefront of new technology to promote the conference. He pointed to the example of the league earlier working out a television contract with Mark Cuban’s HDTV network, as well as the current YES television network pact.

For Cornell, Hartigan said that this new development with SIRIUS will give fans and alumni across the world another option to find out how their favorite teams are doing.

“I think this is another tremendous move for both our department, for the league and for our sports teams in particular,” Hartigan said. “This contract is going to help a lot of different sports get some notoriety.”

Providing over 120 channels of music, news and information among other services, SIRIUS broadcasts live play-by-play for several major sporting events around the country, as well as for more than 250 professional and college teams.

Archived article by Brian Tsao
Sun Assistant Sports Editor