M. Soccer Hosts Lehigh

As the hustle and bustle that inevitably accompanies the first week of school begins to settle down, the men’s soccer team is preparing to get their 2005 season off the ground.

The Red is coming off a disappointing 2004 season where it managed only one win and one tie throughout the year. As though they have been given a second chance at redemption, the men’s squad is scheduled to open up against Lehigh tonight at Berman Field – the same team they faced on opening night a year ago.

This year’s team has 13 newcomers – 12 freshmen and a junior transfer. According to assistant coach Chip Warner, the Red has done a great job coming together in preparation for the upcoming season.

“[Head coach Bryan] Scales has done a great job with team chemistry, and the new guys have really responded well to him,” Warner said.

Along with this, team captain and junior Brian Scruton has taken some of the responsibility of meshing this new group together on his shoulders.

“Brian, as team captain, has done a tremendous job leading this young group,” Warner said. “All of the [returning] guys have really embraced this freshman class. The upperclassmen have really shown great leadership throughout [the off-season].”

The Red will have its work cut out for itself against a strong Lehigh team – one that has played in each of the last three Patriot League Championship games. Led by a slew of returning starters, the Mountain Hawks are looking for their 10th-straight winning season. However, Lehigh’s impressive resume does not intimidate the Red. In fact, the Red is welcoming the challenge.

“The guys are really excited to see Lehigh,” Warner said. “Last year we lost 2-1 to them in O.T., and a lot of the guys have been talking about that a bit so [the team] is anxious to get out there and put last year’s loss behind them.”

The boys in red are ready to move on from last year’s lackluster performance as they prepare for the Mountain Hawks and gear up for the rest of their 2005 schedule.

“Last season is in the past, and we haven’t been dwelling on the past much,” Warner said. “We’ve been focusing on this season and the leadership of the upperclassman has gotten the team really excited to get going. The guys are excited, the coaching staff is excited, and overall, everybody is just ready to get the ball rolling.”

Archived article by Ben Kopelman