W. Soccer Takes On Canisius, Lafayette

The women’s soccer team will look to remain undefeated this weekend, as Cornell meets two non-conference opponents in advance of the upcoming Ivy League season. The Red will host Canisius at 7 p.m. tonight, before taking on Lafayette on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Cornell (3-0-0) is coming off a 2-1 home win over Buffalo last week. The Bisons scored early in the game, but the Red was able to come back with two goals late in the first half.

“Defensively, we are a little too emotional [against Buffalo],” said head coach Berhane Andeberhan. “After we had played two games, I thought we’d be settled, and just focus on our game. [We need] to maintain emotional stability, and have a high level of energy.”

Six different players have scored goals for the Red this year, with senior co-captains Kara Ishikawa and Shannon Fraser leading the way with two goals each.

“In terms of tactics, I don’t want to change anything,” Andeberhan said. “We have a lot of forwards that have really played well.”

Additionally, all three of Cornell’s goalies have seen playing time this year. Freshman Taylor Hendren had seven saves for the Red against Buffalo. Junior Katrina Matlin started in the team’s 2-0 win over St. Bonaventure, while freshman Jessica Lebo played when Cornell defeated Robert Morris, 4-0.

Tonight’s opponent, Canisius (0-5-0), is coming off a 3-0 loss to Niagara on Wednesday. The Griffins outshot Niagara, 14-9, but were unable to find the net.

Canisius is led on offense by midfielder Lindsay Benson, who had a team-high five goals last year. She has taken 15 shots this year, but has yet to score a goal.

Jenna Gage will be in net for the visitors. She has recorded a .750 saves percentage this year, while giving up eight goals in five games. Cornell has not played Canisius since 1990.

Meanwhile, Lafayette (1-2-2) last played on Tuesday, recording a 0-0 draw against Monmouth. The team will play Iona tonight, before traveling to meet Cornell on Sunday. Lafayette’s offense features sophomore Caroline Tuttle, the team’s leading scorer and 2004 Rookie of the Year. Tuttle has scored three goals this year, while sophomore Alison Hingley has added a goal and two assists.

Goalkeeper Mary Kate Erdman has seen the majority of the time in net for the Leopards. She has a .838 saves percentage, and a 1.35 goals against average.

Archived article by Ted Nyman