Field Hockey Hits The Road for Two

Less than one week after defeating the 2004 Ivy League co-champion Penn, the field hockey team finds itself on the road again. The women are scheduled face off today against Yale in New Haven, Conn., and will continue on to Burlington, Vt., to play Vermont on Sunday afternoon.

The Red, competing to maintain its perfect record in Ivy League play (4-1, 2-0 Ivy), has already proven that despite having a young team, outstanding leadership and discipline results in victories.

The women, coming off a 3-1 victory against Penn, have already shown that their offense and defense are up to the challenge of tough competition. Last Saturday, two freshmen helped Cornell’s offense secure a win by continuously keeping pressure on the Quakers.

Freshman Brenna Gulotta came out strong early, scoring the game’s first goal just over five minutes into play. Although Penn answered quickly with a goal of its own, Gulotta scored once again before the end of the first half.

Classmate Katlyn Donoghue sealed the game for the Red in the second half with the game-winning goal.

Much of the Red’s success this season has resulted from consistent efforts on the field combined with many individual players stepping up to make plays when necessary.

The defense also proved integral to the team’s win last Saturday. Although Penn out shot the Red 14-6, sophomore Lizzie Goldblatt made five saves to hold the Quakers to a single goal.

This weekend, the team will need to create opportunities and stop the opponents’ drives if it hopes to secure another win. As they have in the past, the women will try to continue playing to their potential as a unit.

Although this weekend’s opponents are both coming off losses, Yale and Vermont are still trying to settle into a rhythm on the field.

Yale, coming off two losses last weekend, will take to the field today in an attempt to end its four-game losing streak. After a 4-0 shutout against William and Mary last Friday, the Elis returned to the field against Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday. Even though Yale came out strong early on in the contest, the Rams went on to quickly even the score and take the game, 4-2.

Yale has only garnered one victory on the season against Sacred Heart, but Cornell will have to watch out for a revised game plan from first-year head coach Pam Stuper. Yale will look to toughen up its defense and finish scoring drives against the Red, which has outscored its opponents 22-5 in five games.

On Sunday, the Red will continue their road trip to take on the University of Vermont. The Catamounts are also coming off a two-loss weekend, after falling to No. 8 Michigan, 5-0, and suffering a tough 4-3 defeat in overtime against Central Michigan. The losses take Vermont to 2-6 on the season.

Despite the losses, the Catamounts have continuously improved on the season. The Red will have to watch out for leading scorer sophomore Danielle Collins, who leads the team with eight points. Senior goalkeeper Ariel Eber has also found her niche this season, making seven saves in the team’s overtime loss last Friday.

The Red will begin the road trip tonight at 7 p.m. against the Elis.

Archived article by Kristina Kovach