Destiny's Child: #1's

Bootylicious. Many other phrases may come to mind when contemplating #1’s, the greatest hits compilation by Destiny’s Child, which also includes a few other new tunes to spice up the album. It’s a nice way to remember the group considering they will soon be going their separate ways.

#1’s contains 13 of the most popular and chart topping hits by the group. Favorites include “Independent Woman Part 1,” “Survivor,” “Say My Name,” “Bills, Bills, Bills,” “Bootylicious” and new classics like “Soldier” and “Cater 2 U.” Beyonce Knowles, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, the three leading ladies of Destiny’s Child, also include three new songs on the album to keep fans coming back for more. One is an R&B track titled “Feel The Same Way I Do” while “Check On It” is an upbeat song featuring Knowles and Slim Thug. “Check On It” is from the soon to be released film The Pink Panther, in which Knowles will appear.

The last new song is an inspirational ballad, “Stand Up For Love (2005 World Children’s Day Anthem).” This year, Destiny’s Child is serving as global ambassadors to World Children’s Day on Nov. 20 in order to bring attention to children’s issues worldwide and help benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Having made this their official cause, the ladies have already donated a certain amount of the profits from their recent “Destiny Fulfilled . . . and Lovin’ It” global tour to the charity. Knowles, Rowland and Williams also visited several Ronald McDonald Houses while on their tour.

Besides the new songs, the group has also added a special DVD feature to the album featuring music videos of their number one hit songs such as “Say My Name” as well as videos from their most recent album, Destiny Fulfilled. The DVD also has a trailer for an upcoming live concert DVD to be released by the group.

Destiny’s Child has long dominated the teenage pop and R&B music scene. Girls love the lyrics about treating ladies right and boys – and a lot of guys who aren’t quite boys anymore – love the classy and sexy looks of the trio. Basically, everyone had or wanted to have a Destiny’s Child poster on their wall sometime in the last ten years. I must say I fall into this category, and not to be totally nostalgic or anything, but surely we all remember some pretty thrilling middle school dances parties jammed full of “Say My Name” and “Independent Woman Part 1.”

Destiny’s Child exploded on the music scene in the late 1990s. The group’s first self-titled album got them started with favorites like “No, No, No, Part 2.” Their second album, The Writing’s on the Wall affirmed their power status in the pop and R&B genres.

At this point, the group experienced some shifting of its members. In 2000, TaTavia Roberson and LeToya Luckett left Knowles and Rowland on their own, as well as with a lawsuit against the manager and group. Farrah Franklin and Williams replaced Robertson and Luckett, but Franklin also departed after a short time, leaving behind the three ladies who currently compose the group. Despite these changes, Destiny’s Child still had three number one hits in 2000, including “Independent Woman Part 1,” “Bills, Bills, Bills” and “Say My Name.”

Independently, Knowles has been most triumphant, having released an extremely successful solo album Dangerously in Love in 2003. She also pursued the field of acting in movies such as 2002’s Austin Powers: Goldmember. Williams and Rowland have also ventured out on their own. Williams released a solo gospel album titled Heart To Yours which soared to number one on the gospel charts. Meanwhile Rowland produced notable hits like “Dilemma” with rapper Nelly.

In keeping with the title of their most recent album Destiny Fulfilled, Destiny’s Child has recently announced they will be breaking up. They insist that the motivation behind the decision is to pursue separate interests as well as to leave while still on top rather than as faded idols. After going to their concert this past summer, I have to attest that this seems to be the truth. Knowles, Rowland and Williams seem to still genuinely enjoy each other’s company and what they do, often joking and teasing each other on stage. The three put on an impressive and exiting show. From the dancing, to the costumes, to the singing, it left fans feeling fulfilled. Understandably, the long years of touring and time in the spotlight has encouraged the girls to take sometime for themselves. Although I’m sad to see the group go, I’m sure before Knowles, Rowland and Williams can say “Independent Woman,” they’ll be back for a bootylicious reunion tour.

Archived article by Nikki Gusz
Sun Contributor