Munhofen Leads Red Attack

For the past three seasons, senior Jen Munhofen has been a vociferous leader for the Cornell women’s hockey team, infusing the squad with an energy that has lingered since her first game.

“Jen is active and vocal – on the ice and in the dressing room,” said interim head coach Doug Derraugh ’91. “Talent wise, she’s very good with the puck, she has quick feet, and a good view of the ice. I really feel that she’s a playmaker.”

Munhofen, named an assistant captain for her senior season, was awarded the team’s Rookie of the Year as a freshman and led the squad in scoring during her first two seasons. In 2004-2005, she scored four goals and added eight assists for 12 points, good enough for fourth on the team. For her career, she has 16 goals and 27 assists for 43 points in 86 games. She is also the Red’s active leader in career assists and points.

Munhofen first took the ice when she was 13 years old, in her hometown of Alpharetta, Ga. She had already been playing in-line hockey for two years, and ice hockey was the natural progression of her love for the game.

“She’s very energetic, and very passionate. She always says what’s on her mind,” Derraugh said. Munhofen was selected by the ECAC Hockey League to play on a team of league all-stars that faced the United States Women’s national team on Nov. 1, at Ingalls Rink in New Haven, Conn. Team USA made quick work of the all-stars, winning the contest by a score of 6-2. The game was the third-of-11 games that Team USA will be playing in preparation for the 2006 Olympic Games.

“I think that playing on the ECAC All-Star team was probably my biggest accomplishment,” Munhofen said. “That was just a blessing to be able to represent Cornell, and my team, and play with the best of the ECAC. It was also amazing to see future Olympians in action, and to see what the women’s hockey program will become.”

The ECACHL All-Star Team was coached by Harvard head coach Katey Stone and her assistants, Claudia Asano and Michelle McAteer. The team was selected by the all-star coaching staff with input from all 11 league coaches. Twenty-one players represented the league with three players each from Brown, Colgate, Harvard, Princeton, St. Lawrence and Yale. Cornell, Dartmouth and Quinnipiac had one player each.

This year, Munhofen is looking to help turn around a squad that went 3-20-3-2 last season, and is facing an uphill climb. However, she maintains a positive outlook for the year.

“We have an awesome coach, who brings great, great things to our team and challenges us to rise to the occasion,” Munhofen said. “To be able to learn what he’s teaching us and bring it out to the ice, that will make us successful.”

Archived article by Jacob Lieberman