Panel Analyzes Evolving Face of Chinese Politics

In an attempt to inform the public on China and integrate the community, the Americans for Informed Democracy held a forum yesterday highlighting China’s political development and international security.

The discussion featured three speakers, each representing a distinct issue; the panelists included Taiwanese Ambassador Andrew Hsia; Irving J. Stolberg, member of the United Nations U.S. Board of Directors; and Prof. Allen Carlson, government.

Hsia began the forum, focusing on Taiwan’s relationship with China, as well as Taiwan’s current status in the eyes of other countries. Hsia stressed that although Taiwan is only recognized by 25 countries in the world, it is a sovereign country, separate from the People’s Republic of China. In fact, his hope for the future is that Taiwan’s independence will be globally approved.

“We hope that Taiwan will be recognized,” said Hsia. “Don’t pretend we don’t exist, we do exist.”

Furthermore, Hsia explained that the separation of China is not a unique event in China’s history, and patience is necessary to find a peaceful solution to Chinese and Taiwanese disputes. However, Hsia added that acknowledgment is a key step before the unification of Taiwan and China can be possible.

“We will solve our disputes with China, but before that can happen, Taiwan needs to be recognized,” Hsia said. “The separation of China is not a unique phenomenon in China.”

Following Hsia, Stolberg, a member of the United Nations U.S. Board of Directors and president of the Connecticut Division spoke. Contrary to Hsia, Stolberg focused on China and its evolving society. Stolberg emphasized China’s economic growth, as well as its evolvement in terms of liberty.

“I want the public to be aware of the fact that China is changing in an awesome way,” Stolberg said. “In 1986, I tried to have conversations with the Chinese people and I couldn’t. They were too afraid. Now if you go to China, you can’t avoid it. It’s wonderful.” Lastly, Carlson closed the panel discussing the extent to which China imposes a threat to international development. Overall, Carlson displayed optimism in terms of China’s direction. He based this outlook on China’s consistent attempt to replace stability within the country, as well as China’s dependence on foreign economies.

While Carlson does not believe that China will expand militarily, he does recognize that cross-strait problems between China and Taiwan exist. At the same time, Carlson believes that this is not a main concern and instead finds it more crucial to build a form of a central government within China.

Archived article by Blair Robin