W. Hockey Loses Pair to Colgate

Colgate took game two of its home-and-home series with the Red women’s hockey team by a score of 3-1, completing a two-game sweep yesterday afternoon at Lynah Rink. Mallory Johnston and Carly McNaughton each had a goal and an assist in the win, which moved the Raiders to 7-4-2 overall and a perfect 4-0-0 in ECACHL play. The loss dropped the Red to 2-6-0 overall and 0-4-0 in the conference.

Johnston gave the Raiders the lead 9:58 into the game, when she walked into the slot all alone and fired the puck towards the net. She went top shelf, beating Red senior goalie Flora Vineberg to open up the scoring. Johnston’s goal would remain the only score until the second period, when Red junior Halina Kristalyn scored her sixth goal of the year to knot the game at 1-all. After a shot from the point by Cornell senior Emily Cabral, senior Jen Munhofen tipped the loose puck to Kristalyn. Kristalyn corralled the puck and spun towards the net, rifling a shot past Colgate goalie Brook Wheeler.

However, Kristalyn’s goal would prove to be the lone bright spot for the Red. Just 45 seconds into the third period, Colgate took the lead for the last time, getting a goal from Allison Paiano. Less than four minutes later, McNaughton added another tally, giving the Raiders a two-goal lead with the clock rapidly ticking down to zero.

The Raiders were able to cling to their two-goal lead, with Wheeler stopping five shots in the final period, before leaving the game with 11 seconds to play after being shaken up during a tussle in front of the net. Wheeler’s five third-period saves gave her 20 on the day. On the other end of the ice, Vineberg stopped 23 Raider shots for the Red.

“I think that we maybe had a couple minute lapse there,” Kristalyn said. “I don’t think it’s a lack of focus, but we need to stay out of the penalty box and be more disciplined.”

The previous day’s results were, unfortunately for the Red, quite similar, with the Raiders winning 3-1 on their home ice in Hamilton, N.Y. Colgate took the lead almost halfway through the first period when Cassie Reid scored a power-play goal, her fourth of the season. Cabral was in the penalty box for the Red, having picked up a cross-checking penalty at 11:05 of the first period.

Colgate’s Elin Brown scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal halfway through the second period, and Ruth Fish added another to give the Raiders a 3-0 lead at 5:25 of the third. The Red’s only goal came at the 8:00 mark of the third period, when freshman Emma Chipman scored the first goal of her collegiate career.

“I think Emma played really well, not just this weekend but all year, and she finally got rewarded in front of the net,” Kristalyn said.

The Red will next take the ice on Friday, when it travels to Princeton for an ECACHL match-up. The squad will then travel to Hamden, Conn., the next day to face Quinnipiac. Friday’s game against Princeton is scheduled to start at 7 p.m., while the puck will drop in Hamden at 4 p.m. on Saturday.

“I think it’s really coming together, we just need to get a couple wins under our belt,” Kristalyn added. “I don’t think we need to change our style of play as much as we need to capitalize on our chances to score.”

Archived article by Jacob Lieberman