Squashers to Take On Ranked Foes

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams are embarking on a lengthy three-day road trip that will see them play against three competitive rivals. By the end of this weekend, both of the Red’s squads will have faced off against Amherst, Dartmouth, and Williams, all of whom are ranked in the top-15 in the country.

The men’s team, ranked No. 7 nationally with a season record of 2-6, will face No. 11 Amherst today in Massachusetts.

Then it’s off to New Hampshire for the Red’s match tomorrow against No. 8 Dartmouth. Ranked directly behind Cornell, Dartmouth will be eager to knock off its Ivy rival, but men’s head coach Mark Devoy has other plans.

“We’re looking to keep them at bay,” Devoy said.

After facing off against the Green, the Red will hit the road yet again, this time headed for No. 9 ranked Williams. Sunday’s match with Williams could prove to be the hardest test of the weekend for the men’s squad, which will be battling the strain of two consecutive matches on the road.

According to Devoy, the Red will save its toughest opponent for last, as eager to upset a higher-ranked opponent like Cornell.

“[Williams is] dying to get in the top-8,” Devoy said.

Whereas the men’s team will spend the entire weekend looking to defend its No. 7 national ranking against lower-ranked teams, the women’s team will be looking to improve on their No. 9 ranking. The women moved up to No. 9 after last month’s convincing victory over Bates, and face two teams ensconced above them in the national polls.

“Whereas we’ve got everything to lose, the women’s team has nothing to lose,” Devoy said.

First up for the women is today’s match against Amherst, ranked No. 13 in the nation. This match should be the less challenging foe of the weekend.

Next, the women’s team will go to Dartmouth to face the Green’s No. 6-ranked team. The Cornell squad is coming off a lopsided, 8-1, loss to No. 7 Brown last weekend, and is looking to make amends against its latest Ivy League rival.

Williams will be the women’s third and final match of the weekend.

The No. 8 Purple Cows stand directly in front of the Red in the national standings, so Sunday’s match will be one of the season’s most important – and challenging.

“They’ll have to play very well to beat Williams,” Devoy said.

Archived article by Greg Slovick