Gymnasts Post Season-High Score in Win Over Brown

The Cornell gymnastics team saved its best for when it counted, riding a season-high team score to a victory, 187.325-184.975, over Brown in its conference opener this past weekend.

The Red swept the first-place honors in all four events, and outscored the Bears in every event except the floor to earn the win. Sophomore Leslie Gregory also claimed the individual all-around title for Cornell.

Freshman Sari Tepper led Cornell with a 9.500 on the vault in the first rotation. This earned her a blue-ribbon finish and set the tone for a season-high performance from the Red in that event. Sophomore Colleen Davis finished second with a score of 9.475, and sophomore Megan Gilbert (9.375) and senior Cathy Schnell (9.375) took fourth and fifth place, respectively.

The Bears started on bars, with Sarah Cavett posting a team-high score of 9.525, good for fourth place overall in that event. Coming out of the first rotation, the Red held almost a two-point lead over its conference rival.

Next, the Red took its turn on the bars. Junior Randi Bisbano scored a 9.675 to lead a Cornell sweep of four of the top-5 places in that event. Freshman Jennifer Yee (9.600) and Schnell (9.550) took second and third, respectively, while Gregory (9.300) rounded out the top-5.

Bisbano added a second first-place finish to her haul with a 9.675 on the beam. Gregory scored a 9.400, the only other Cornellian to reach the top-5 in this event.

Bisbano and Gregory were in fine form on floor in the final event of the day, with Gregory recording a first place with a score of 9.475 and Bisbano grabbing fifth place on the strength of a 9.350 showing. The Bears took the other three top spots, giving them their only event win of the day.

The team’s final score of 187.325 was a six-point improvement over its previous best this season.

Archived article by Sun Staff