W. Icers Close Out Season

This weekend, the women’s hockey team will close out its 2005-06 campaign by hosting No. 7 Mercyhurst on Friday and Saturday nights. While this weekend’s games are not very significant in terms of the standings, since the team has been eliminated from post-season consideration, Cornell (9-17-0, 5-13-0 ECACHL) will look to continue the tremendous strides it has made this season.

Cornell is coming off a huge weekend in which it knocked off No. 9 Harvard by a score of 4-3, before suffering a one-goal loss at Dartmouth. Junior goaltender Beth Baronick made 74 saves over the weekend, including 46 against Dartmouth on Saturday. Senior forward Vicki Hodgkinson and freshman forward Emma Chipman recorded three points apiece over the two games and were each named to the conference Honor Roll for the week.

Mercyhurst (18-7-5, 8-0-2 CHA), has clinched the College Hockey America (CHA) regular-season title for the fourth straight season. The Lakers are 1-0-3 in their last four games and still have four games to play.

“[Mercyhurst] is a very skilled team. They have a couple players up for the Patty Kazmier Award [given to the best players in college hockey],” said head coach Doug Derraugh. “Most importantly for us is that we don’t give up odd-man rushes, have people protect the net and control the puck in our zone.”

This season, the Lakers have fielded a young but proficient squad. With only two seniors on the roster, Mercyhurst has looked to its underclassmen to fill the void. Freshman forward Valerie Chouinard has helped pick up the slack, registering 19 goals and 20 assists so far this season. Chouinard ranks first in the conference in scoring and is among the top-10 nationally. Ranked No. 2 in the conference in scoring is teammate Julia Colizza, a junior forward, who has contributed 14 goals and 19 assists.

In the net, sophomore Laura Hosier has seen the majority of the playing time, compiling a record of 11-7-5, with a 1.90 goals against average and a .907 save percentage.

“This weekend, we hope to continue where we left off the last four weeks,” Derraugh said. “The last four weekends, we played very well, very hard, and we want to continue that into next year.”

Cornell is 4-4-0 in its last eight games, and leading the way for the Red has been the play of Baronick, who has been named ECACHL Goaltender of the week twice during that span. Over the season, Baronick is 5-10-0 with a 3.01 GAA and a .909 save percentage, playing about 60 percent of the time.

Offensively, six players have recorded double digit points so far this season, with sophomore forward Caeleigh Beerworth pacing the team with 20 (6 goals, 14 assists).

Sophomore forward Brittany Forgues leads the team in goals, with 12.

Archived article by Jon Hausner