Happy Days for New York Fans

If you’re a New York sports fan, like me, you have to be excited right now.

What did you say? You aren’t really excited? You say you’re downright depressed?

Well, don’t worry. There are plenty of things to get excited about.

Spring training is here, which means another George Steinbrenner show. This year’s Boss spectacular was completed last Thursday, when George showed us all the newest fashion trend – sunglasses with the words “2006 Champs” written across the lenses in classic Yankee colors and font.

The Mets are ready to make a run for the playoffs, if not the World Series. Thanks to some shrewd moves – along with a bit of financial backing – from GM Omar Minaya, the Amazins are on their way to dethroning the Braves for the first time in 15 years. Even Braves veteran starter John Smoltz admitted his team is the underdog in the NL East.

And New York hockey fans have something to be happy about for a change, with the Sabres and Rangers battling for home ice in the playoffs. What’s great for Rangers fans is that not only is the team winning for the first time in more than half a decade, two of the team’s players have a shot to win the dynamic duo of NHL awards – the Hart trophy for league MVP and the Vezina for top goaltender. Those two nominees are forward Jaromir Jagr, who leads the NHL in points, and netminder Henrik Lundqvist, respectively. Lunqvist leads the league in save percentage and ranks second in goals against average, seventh in wins and tenth in shutouts.

You’re still not really excited? Why not? Doesn’t everyone love the Yankees and the NHL? Oh