Students Elected to New S.A. Positions

The Student Assembly elected its new executive board last night in Goldwin Smith Hall. Kwame Thomison ’07 was elected President, Mark Coombs ’08 was elected Executive Vice President and Elan Greenberg ’07 was elected Vice President of Internal Operations.

In addition, Sarah Boxer ’07 was elected Vice President of Finance and C.J. Slicklen ’09 was elected Vice President of Public Relations.

“I’m excited to get started working next year and am excited to have the assembly do great things,” Thomison said. “Next year I’d like to have public course evaluations and a legal music service.”

Thomison’s rise to president was a contentious one, according to an anonymous source.

According to the source, Coombs and Boxer were the initial candidates for president, but after two to three hours of deliberation, Thomison, who University Voice originally hoped would become Vice President of Finance, “totally defected” from University Voice and accepted a nomination as president.

The anonymous source said that University Voice would not be upset if they had known Thomison was going to accept the presidential nomination, but, according to the source, University Voice was “blown away by Thomison’s betrayal.”

The source cited his grave concerns about the assembly being able to come together peacefully next year.

Boxer said that she “looks forward to embracing her new position” and hopes to help club sports funding.

Candidates need 13 votes to be elected to the Student Assembly board; neither of the tickets this year – Clean Slate or University Voice – had at least 13 constituents, which is one reason why this year’s election process lasted over seven hours, according to the source.

The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly also elected their leadership for next year yesterday. Janet Vertesi was unanimously elected president of the assembly; Michael Walsh was unanimously elected vice president; Arnaub Chatterjee was unanimously elected secretary. Walsh will also work as the chair of communication for the GPSA.

“Next year I will increase communication between the GPSA and grad students, the SA and the administration,” Walsh said of his new position.

According to Walsh, the this year’s GPSA leadership board plans to have more involvement with GPSA activities and campus life in general.

Archived article by Jessica DiNapoli