Baseball Drops Seventh at Home

The Cornell offense stalled like an old Buick in a snow storm yesterday against Siena (14-24-1), as the baseball team (10-25, 6-10 Ivy) dropped an afternoon non-conference affair by a score of 14-3. Saints pitchers Ryan King, Will Hassett, Kevin Snyder and Trevor Reid combined on a two-hitter against the Red, while the Siena offense collected 17 hits on its way to the lopsided victory.

Despite playing two back-to-back weekend slates that were both pushed back a day due to weather and a midweek doubleheader against LeMoyne last Tuesday, fatigue wasn’t used as a reason for why the Red looked so sluggish yesterday at Hoy Field.

“There are certainly no excuses and I’m sure the guys don’t have any as well,” said head coach Tom Ford. “We just didn’t get things done. We didn’t play well in any particular phase of the game. We only got two hits and we didn’t even really pitch that well.”

The Saints collected six extra-base hits on the afternoon, but the real story of the game was the four pitchers who combined to strikeout nine Red batters. Despite striking out one batter per inning, they did experience control problems as the Saints staff issued six walks and had four hit-by-pitches on the afternoon.

Cornell’s only hits on the afternoon came on singles from senior catcher William Pauly and freshman third baseman Nathan Ford. Sophomore Bryce Klinesteker took the loss for the Red. Sophomore Antonio Cardona, junior Kevin Conlin, freshman, Stephen Osterer and senior Michael Hudson pitched in relief for the Red.

The game was put away early, as Siena capitalized on erratic control from Cornell pitchers, scoring five runs on just two hits in the top of the second inning. The Saints took advantage of two hit batsmen and five base-on-balls, with hits coming from Michael Ambury and Jake Willis. Siena could have made it even worse in the third inning, but only scored one run as they left the bases loaded.

Cornell got on the scoreboard in the third inning after a leadoff walk and two hit-by-pitches loaded the bases for Ford. Ford hit a sacrifice to score the first run while sophomore Ry Kagan hit an RBI groundout and Pauly hit a run-scoring single to cut the Saints lead to 6-3.

Siena stopped any Red momentum immediately in the top of the fourth, scoring two more runs highlighted by Billy Lazio’s double to right center field. The Saints eventually tacked on three more runs in the sixth and scored single runs in each of the final three innings to end the game.

The Red will refocus and restart the engine this Friday as it plays host to Princeton at Hoy Field in Game 1 of a four game set. The Red needs to win three games against the Tigers to successfully defend its Gehrig Division title.

“We have no choice,” Ford said in response to asking if the team needed to wash away the loss. “We wanted to pick up some momentum going into the weekend but we will regroup. We need to take care of business this Friday.”

Archived article by Tim Kuhls
Sun Assistant Sports Editor