Boothe Taken by Oakland in NFL Draft

It took a little longer than ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr., had predicted, but senior offensive lineman Kevin Boothe was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the sixth round of the NFL draft yesterday afternoon at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

Kiper had predicted the 2005 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) first team All-American selection could go as high as the second round, but Boothe, a 6-4, 327-pound guard/tackle, was still on the board when Oakland took its turn with the 176th pick of the draft.

Boothe was the first Ivy League player selected, and was the fifth pick by the Raiders’ organization. He was the second offensive lineman taken in the entire draft, as tackle Paul McQuistan of Weber State was grabbed in the third round.

Boothe is coming off a career at Cornell in which he was a consensus All-American and three-time first-team All-Ivy pick.

He is the first Cornell player to be chosen in the draft since Chad Levitt ’97 and Seth Payne ’97 were both taken in the fourth round of the 1997 NFL draft. Levitt was also taken by the Raiders.

Boothe’s career ranks among the best ever at Cornell, as he is only the fourth Red football player to earn first-team All-Ivy honors three times in his career, an elite group that includes running back Ed Marinaro ’72.

He was a tri-captain for the Red in his senior season, leading an inexperienced offensive line that helped Cornell’s running game rank eighth in the nation with 248.9 yards per game.

According to the Raiders’ website, he notched 83 key blocks/knockdowns in 2005, resulting in 10 touchdowns and allowing three quarterback sacks and three pressures.

He earned second-team All-America honors from The Sports Network and Associated Press for this campaign, as well as the Cornell’s Pop Warner Most Valuable Player award and the Jaime McManamon Award, given to the senior whose efforts in strength and conditioning lead to a significant improvement on the field.

Booth will join an Oakland line marked by injury and age, as guard Langston Walker is making a comeback from a season-ending abdomen injury and guard Brad Badger is entering his 10th season in the league.

Oakland finished in last place in the AFC West with a 4-12 record last season. Only the Houston Texans and the New Orleans Saints finished with fewer wins in 2005.

Archived article by by Sun Staff