July 25, 2006

Former C.U. Employee Arraigned for Two Misdemeanors on Campus

Samaritan Johnson, a former employee in the Department of Athletics Summer Sports School, was arrested by the Cornell University Police Department with help from the Ithaca and Cortland Police Departments. Johnson has been charged with two misdemeanors related to an office encounter on June 6. The incident was reported July 17.

“We take these allegations very seriously,” said Tommy Bruce, vice president for University communications. “The incident allegedly involved detaining an individual in a university office and inappropriate touching through clothing. Cornell University is extending support to the victim involved and to others affected by this incident. We are providing our full cooperation to the Tompkins County District Attorney’s Office.”

Johnson resigned June 29 for reasons unrelated to the current complaints, according to a press release.

“Cornell has operated the summer athletic program for 26 years, and the safety of our participants is our top priority,” stated Andy Noel, director of athletics, in a release. “We repudiate the type of behavior alleged in the complaint.”

Cornell barred Johnson from campus at the time of the arrest.
Johnson was arraigned in Ithaca City Court and remained to the Tompkins County jail. Bail was set at $3,000 cash or $6,000 bond.

Johnson is the second Cornell employee in 2 months arrested for a sex-based crime.