Around the Ivies

Yale
Although a thief admitted to stealing five antique maps from Yale’s Sterling Memorial Library, librarians discovered at the end of the summer that almost 80 more maps are missing from the University’s collection. These maps, which date back as far as 1562, were created by world-famous cartographers such as Gerandus Mercator and James Cook. University librarians believe that these thefts occurred over a period of many years and are unrelated to the case against Edward Forbes Smiley III, who admitted to stealing almost 100 maps from various libraries and institutions.

Harvard
Beginning in July, outgoing Harvard President Lawrence Summers was named the Charles W. Eliot University Professor of Harvard University. Since leaving his post as president, Summers will hold posts at both the Kennedy School of Government and the Harvard Business School. He will be on sabbatical for the 2006-2007 academic year.

Brown
A Brown professor has sued the University, claiming that it did not grant her a five year renewal that was guaranteed to her when hired. Beverly Haviland, a visiting associate professor and senior lecturer in American civilization, was instead given a two and a half year contract extension. Haviland claimed that she gave up a tenured position at SUNY—Stony Brook based on Brown’s promises.