Charity Tug-of-War Tourney Raises $1,500 for Charity

The usually pristine Rawlings Green on North Campus looked more like a summer camp on Saturday as over 180 students gathered to compete in Phi Kappa Tau’s annual “Phi Tug.” The tug-of-war tournament raised close $1,500 for the Hole in the Wall Camps, which caters to terminally ill children.

“It may not sound like much,” said Matthew Piliero ’08, Philanthropy Chair for Phi Kappa Tau, “but the money we raise today will be enough to send one kid to camp for one week, and that will mean a lot to that kid.”

Due largely to donations from events like “Phi Tug,” Hole in the Wall Camps can allow children to attend camp, and to receive expert medical care while there, all free of charge. The fraternity has been holding this event for five years, and several members also volunteer at Hole in the Wall Camps during the summer.

“I think this is a great event and its great that we have such a strong Greek community that will come out and support us in our philanthropy event,” said Phi Tau member CJ Slicklen ’09.

Over 30 teams of six members competed in the round robin tournament in three divisions: men’s, women’s and co-ed. Teams paid an entry fee and also purchased tickets for a raffle. Raffle prizes included an iPod and gift certificates donated by area restaurants. Participants also purchased buffalo chicken wings donated by Wings over Ithaca and soda donated by Tops Market.

“We do this every year and we’re hard core about it!” said Callan Space ’09, a member of Kappa Delta’s winning team. The varsity wrestling team won the men’s division and team Knotty Roots took the title in the co-ed group.

Founded by actor Paul Newman, a Phi Kappa Tau alumnus, Hole in the Wall Camps are located all over the world. In the summer, campers participate in traditional summer camp activities like swimming, fishing and archery. Many of the camps, like Double H Ranch in Lake Luzerne, N.Y., are also open throughout the winter with activities like downhill skiing.