Crimson, Tigers, Remain Unbeaten; Quakers Win

It was an exciting and dominating weekend for the Ivy League, as teams completed their non-conference slates this past weekend in preparation for the grind of the rest of the regular season. Finishing with an overall record of 16-8 outside the Ancient Eight, Ivy teams Harvard, Princeton and Yale are still gridlocked amongst the top of the league standings with all but a few weeks left to play to determine league supremacy.

Yale 26, Lehigh 20

Yale sophomore tailback Mike McLeod was up to his usual tricks this past Saturday at the Yale Bowl, propelling the Bulldogs (4-1, 2-0 Ivy) in overtime to a 26-20 win over Lehigh (2-4, 1-0 Patriot) with his one-yard touchdown run on Yale’s first possession of the extra stanza. Despite seeing Lehigh rally from 11 points down to force overtime, the touchdown was all Yale needed as the Mountain Hawks failed field goal attempt in extra time spelled doom for Lehigh head coach Andy Coen’s squad. Yale quarterback Matt Polhemus hit wide receiver Chandler Henley for a 20-yard pass to set up McLeod’s late game heroics. McLeod rushed for a career-best 204 yards in the win.

Harvard 24, Lafayette 7

It wasn’t much of a contest this past Saturday in Cambridge, Mass., as No. 15 Harvard (5-0, 2-0) made quick work of Lafayette (2-4, 1-0) in its 24-7 victory at Harvard Stadium. Crimson quarterback Chris Pizzotti threw two touchdown passes while Harvard sparkplug, running back Clifton Dawson, tied the Ivy League record for career rushing touchdowns by registering his 52nd rushing score en route to gaining 144 yards. Despite getting out to an early lead, Lafayette couldn’t handle Dawson, who accounted for half of Harvard’s 400 yards in total offense.

Princeton 17, Brown 3

It was a rare edition of Ivy Friday night lights at Princeton Stadium in front of a national ESPNU audience this past weekend. Tigers quarterback Jeff Terrell threw two second-half touchdown passes to ensure that Princeton (5-0, 2-0) stayed undefeated in league play, setting up a crucial battle for bragging rights atop the Ivy standings when Princeton plays Harvard this weekend. The game against Brown (1-4, 0-2) proved to be an offensive struggle for the Bears as the Princeton defense allowed only 157 yards of offense in the entire contest. Terrell went 17-of-27 for 185 yards in the contest, while also adding 57 yards on the ground.

Penn 16, Columbia 0

New Columbia head coach Norries Wilson and his upstart Columbia squad were shown up by an impressive Penn side this past Saturday at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The Quakers (4-1, 2-0) used a balanced offense and a stout defensive effort to blank the Lions (3-2, 0-2). Penn running back Joe Sandberg compiled his third 100-yard game of the season while receiver Matt Carre also eclipsed the century mark through the air with his four catches for 102 yards. If there was one bright spot for Columbia on the day, it was the workman-like effort displayed by safety Tad Crawford, who recorded a league season-high of 22 tackles in the contest.

Holy Cross 24, Dartmouth 21

Homecoming wasn’t as enjoyable in Hanover, Vt., as it was in Ithaca this past Saturday, as Dartmouth (0-5, 0-2) lost a heartbreaker in overtime to a pesky Holy Cross squad. Mike DeSantis’ third field goal of the afternoon won the game in overtime for the Crusaders (5-2, 2-0) after Dartmouth had missed a long field goal in its first try to score points in the extra stanza. Holy Cross, behind a steady and consistent running game, moved the ball to the goal-line, where DeSantis then worked his magic.