Red Cruises to Charles For Prestigious Regatta

The men’s and women’s crews will push off into the historic college-lined waters of the Charles River this Sunday in Boston for the 42nd annual Head of the Charles. Boasting over 7,500 competitors from a range of age groups and classes of competition, the Head of the Charles is the world’s largest two-day rowing event. [img_assist|nid=19072|title=Charles in charge|desc=The men’s and women’s crews travel Boston this weekend for the world-renowned Head of the Charles. (Eric Safstrom / Sun Senior Photographer)|link=popup|align=left|width=100|height=61]

Cornell has traditionally faired well in a strong field of competition from both collegiate and club programs. Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Navy are perennial contenders, while Oxford and Cambridge traditionally send boats across the Pond to compete in the head race.

Cornell sent five boats to the Charles last year, generally finishing around the middle of the pack. In the men’s championship fours, the Red took 11th place with a time of 17:42.659. The lightweight eight took 10th out of field of 21 with a time of 15:59.070 and the heavyweights finished 21st out of a field of 40 posting a time of 15:49.130.

The women sent two boats to last years regatta, finishing 28th out of a field of 47 in the championship eights with a time of 18:17.058 and 13th in the championship fours finishing with a time of 20:28.202.

The women’s crew comes into the Head of Charles riding high after last weekend’s Schwartz Cup and a strong performance at the Genessee Invitational Regatta, with the varsity eight finishing fourth out of a field of 14.

For the men’s crews, the Head of the Charles will provide the Red with its first taste of outside competition as last weekend’s annual intrasquad races at the Schwartz Cup.