Spoken Soul Poetry Slam

It will be a free event at the Robert Purcell Community Center on Jessup Rd. between Triphammer and Pleasant Grove.

The Spoken Soul Poetry Slam is a social space where people can come chill, have fun, and share anything that is on their minds, hearts, and/or souls. Students, faculty, staff, family, friends, and everybody else is invited to join us.

What’s a Slam you say? A poetry slam is a performance poetry competition in which 8 people are given three minutes to recite their creation to the audience and a group of five (randomly-selected) judges. These judges, with the aid of their scorecards, will determine the top poet of the evening. The Slam also hosts an open mic for your
chance to perform without competition. This is a must see event, don’t leave Ithaca without being a part of this entertaining experience.

Who’s the feature? He’s Roger Bonair-Agard. A native of Trinidad and Tobago, Roger has lived in Brooklyn for eighteen years. His work reflects the struggles of a man in voluntary exile in a conflicted 21st-century America. A former Individual National Poetry Slam Champion, Roger has appeared three times on Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry on HBO, performed and facilitated writing and performance workshops at colleges, universities and high schools around the country, and stirred audiences at festivals and concerts from Germany to South Africa to Anchorage, Alaska and opened for calypso legend Shadow for an audience of 2,000 in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. His first full-length book, “Tarnish and Masquerade” was recently published by Cypher Books. His one-man poetry concert, “Masquerade: poems of calypso and home,” is running over eleven nights in November, presented by the TerraNova Theater Collective. Don’t miss him!