Two New Storefronts Open in Collegetown

Despite many recent vacancies in Collegetown, two new businesses hope to reinvigorate the area.

The Mango Café and City Style Salon and Sake Bar, both located on Eddy Street, offer different ways for Cornell students to enjoy Ithaca nightlife.
A Starbucks that was slated to open in early January is currently still under construction on the corner of Dryden Rd. and College Ave.

The Mango Café, which opened Tuesday, features a full service bar and dance floor with Pan-Latin cuisine. On weekends, the Café will host both live bands and DJs.

“What we’re offering is very different from everything else in Collegetown. We’ll have world music with everything from Middle Eastern music to African jazz,” owner Michael Ristorucci said. “We’re catering to global tastes and anyone who enjoys Latin music and culture will love this place.”

The City Style Salon and Sake Bar is also new to Collegetown. During the day, City Style functions as a full service salon and bar. At night, the space serves as a nightclub.

“This place is gonna be to die for,” owner Jewel Flanigan said. “I really wanted people here to experience something different.”

While City Style does not currently have a liquor license, Flanigan hopes to receive the license in the next two weeks to serve beer, wine and sake.
“As soon as we have the license we’ll open up the bar. It will all be great,” Flanigan said.

Some Cornell students are enthusiastic about the positive changes to Ithaca nightlife that the Café and Salon will provide.

“I’m excited to see some variety in Collegetown, especially the nightlife,” said Tal Manor ’07.

Other new businesses are not as welcome as the Café and Salon.

“It’s great that [Mango Café and City Style Salon] are here, but it’s pretty disappointing that they’re putting a Starbucks on College Ave. I think it should have been a local business like Gimme Coffee,” said Kelly McCune ’07.

Jerry Ruoti ’08 agreed, saying, “I’m surprised that there will be a Starbucks in Collegetown. I think I’ll still go to Collegetown Bagels. It has a much better atmosphere than Starbucks.”