City News

City Forms Committee to Honor Dr. King

Ithaca Mayor Carolyn K. Peterson recently named the members of the Martin Luther King Designation Committee, following the Board of Public Works’ rejection of renaming State Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Street. The committee is charged with finding an appropriate way to honor the civil rights leader in Ithaca and will have its first meeting later this month. Committee members include: Chair Mike Hall, Common Council member Gayraud Townsend ’05 (D-4th Ward), Board of Public Works member Claudia Jenkins, Gino Bush, Pete Myers, Kathleen Pasetty, Ed Hart, Mary Ellen Sprague, Nancy Ramage and Jevon Garrett.

Ithaca Breast Cancer Alliance Plans Move, Receives Grant

Along with the Ithaca Free Clinic, the Ithaca Breast Cancer Alliance was awarded a $10,500 grant from the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation for service and outreach for women in Tompkins County affected by breast cancer. The alliance is also planning a move to 612 West State St. from its current 100 W. State St. location. The new building will have much more space than the current one.

Thurston Avenue Bridge Update

In the current stages of the Thurston Avenue Bridge Rehabilitation Project there is one sidewalk and one lane of northbound traffic, while the project is shut down for the winter season. Starting in March, the bridge will be completely closed to both pedestrians and vehicles until August when there will be two lanes of traffic and one sidewalk, according to the City of Ithaca website.