City News

Contaminated Peanut Butter Found in Local Businesses
Four cases of salmonella found in peanut butter that are believed to be part of a national outbreak were reported in Tompkins and Cortland counties over the weekend. New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets and New York State Department of Health officials are alerting residents, restaurants and other retail food providers throughout New York of a recall of Peter Pan and Great Value brands of peanut butter. Officials have already confirmed 32 cases of salmonella in New York state believed to be linked to these products.

Ithaca Roads Close for Snow Removal
Several roads in Ithaca will be temporarily closed this week as crews clear remaining snow from last Wednesday’s storm from streets and sidewalks. No parking signs will be posted throughout the city, and vehicles not removed from streets will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense. Officials expect works crews to remove the snow within the next one to two weeks.

Lansing Scientists Aid Cancer Research
Researchers at Gene Network Sciences in Lansing have developed software that has helped scientists identify a missing link in metabolic paths and cell reproduction, which may help in the development of new cancer drugs that halt cancer cells and tumor growth. The research was published in Molecular Systems Biology and was co-written by researchers at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the University of California San Diego.

Developer Unveils Garage Design
City officials will review changes for the Green St. garage downtown when developer Ken Schon presents the proposed changes to the Codes Committee of the City Planning and Development Board on Feb. 20. The changes include work on the exterior of the parking garage and are part of the City’s Cayuga Green project, which includes commercial, residential and garage construction on Green St.