Spoken Soul Poetry Slam

Express yourself.
Express yourself through song.
Express yourself through dance.
Express yourself through rap.
Express yourself through stories.
It’s all poetry anyway.

@ *SPOKEN SOUL POETRY SLAM*

The Spoken Soul Poetry Slam is a social space where people can come chill, have fun, and share anything that is on their minds, hearts, and/or souls. Students, faculty, staff, family, friends, and everybody else is invited to join us. Keep in mind:

*It’s about community and having fun. Come chill and listen to the music of our in-house DJ. Meet some new people, have some refreshments, and do what you do.

*If we find out it’s your first time on the mic, you’ll hear about it and the world will know that you’re a VIRGIN. Be proud of it ’cause once you finish, you can’t get it back!

*If you slam don’t worry about the points, just share and have fun aight!

What’s a Slam you say? A poetry slam is a performance poetry competition in which 8 people are given three minutes to recite their creation to the audience and a group of five (randomly-selected) judges. These judges, with the aid of their scorecards, will determine the top poet of the evening. The Slam also hosts an open mic for your chance to perform without competition.

Featuring? RAIN MAKER

This will be the last qualifying poetry slam for a chance to be on the Cornell University Poetry Slam team. The team will be competing against 22+ other colleges from across the nation in the College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational at Eastern Michigan University.

—————————————————————————–

Word on the feature:

RAIN MAKER is a Jamaican poet from Queens. His poetry is rich, creatively written, and when he recites, he puts his heart into every word. In 2006 he was a member of the Nuyorican Poetry Cafe Poetry Slam team. He has featured at the Apollo Theatre, Panasonic Theatre NJ, the Sugar Shack, and opened up for Carl Thomas at the Harlem Summer Stage to name a few. He is one of the most free thinkers and passionate gems in poetry today. For more information on him, you may visit his myspace page at myspace.com/rainmakerpenspour

——————————————————————————-

Sponsored by Africana Student Association and Community Center Programs.

——————————————————————————–