Seeking Global Justice: Should the United States Join the International Criminal Court?

What: Moderated debate on topic of U.S. policy towards the International Criminal Court between John Washburn, Convener of the American Non-governmental Organizations Coalition on the International Criminal Court, and Jeremy Rabkin, Professor of Government at Cornell

Why: The International Criminal Court (ICC) was founded in 2002 as a permanent tribunal to prosecute crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes. The ICC has been actively investigating situations in Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Darfur. The United States, along with Russia, China, India and other countries, have opposed the ICC, expressing concern about politically-motivated prosecutions, weak procedural safeguards, and interference with state sovereignty. Meanwhile, in January, the ICC took substantial steps towards initiating its first trial, charging former Congolese rebel Thomas Lubanga with using child soldiers, and recently presented evidence in the Darfur investigation. As the ICC increases its role in international criminal law and approaches its fifth anniversary, an informed conversation about the U.S. position towards the ICC is due.

Who: Sponsored by Cornell Law School through the Briggs International Law Society at the Cornell Law School, the Berger International Legal Studies Program Speaker Series, and the Federalist Society

When: Monday, March 12, 6:00 – 7:30 pm

Where: Myron Taylor Hall G90

Contact: [email protected], Maxim Kogan ([email protected])

Free and open to the public. Reception to follow.