M. Laxers Ranked No. 1 in Nation

For the first time since Star Wars ruled the galaxy — not to mention the box office — and Chris Kane headed up the men’s lacrosse team’s defense while Bob Henrickson streaked up and down the sidelines of Schoellkopf Field, the Red find themselves atop both the USILA coaches poll and the Nike/Inside Lacrosse poll.

In 1978, the Red was coming off back-to-back National championships. After winning every regular season match and two tournament games to advance to finals and extend it winning streak to 42 contests, Cornell finally fell to Johns Hopkins 13-8. Since then, the Red has not been ranked No. 1 at any point, but has finished second in the NCAA tournament twice and third once.

In the present, the Red has began its season undefeated, most recently taking down then-No. 8 Army and then-No. 9 Notre Dame en route to finding itself at the top of the polls.

“It’s a great feeling,” said senior Eric Pittard. “I think now that we’re No. 1, every team will give their best effort against us every game.”

The Red’s ranking will be put to the test soon, as Cornell is set to next battle No. 4 Duke, who has occupied the top slot at points this season.

“We will now have to work twice as hard in practice to make sure no one beats us,” Pittard said.”

— Compiled by Cory Bennett