HumEc Dean to Leave Univ.

Lisa Staiano-Coico Ph.d ’81, dean of Cornell’s College of Human Ecology, announced that she has accepted the position of provost of Temple University in Philadelphia, where she will begin working on July 1. She has served as the Rebecca Q. and James C. Morgan Dean of the College of Human Ecology since July 2004.

Staiano-Coico graduated from Cornell’s Graduate School of Medical Sciences in 1981 and in 1983 became the vice provost for medical affairs of Weill Medical College, according to a press release.

“Lisa has set the college on a far-reaching path of success as the premier institution of its kind,” stated Provost Biddy Martin in a press release.

During her tenure, Staiano-Coico oversaw the development of a pilot research award program aimed at stimulating interdisciplinary, collaborative research and helped create a mentoring program that connects students with alumni professionals.

In her position as provost, Staiano-Coico will oversee the 17 graduate and undergraduate colleges and schools of Temple University, which has an enrollment of 35,000 students. This will be the first time that two women will concurrently hold the offices of president and provost in a university in Philadelphia, according to Temple University’s website.

“Dean Staiano-Coico has made significant contributions to Cornell University and the College of Human Ecology …. we are thrilled for [her] and the new opportunity this new assignment represents for her,” said President David Skorton in a press release.

Prof. Alan Mathios, policy analysis and management, will serve as interim dean until a permanent dean is selected. Matios is the associate dean for academic affairs and undergraduate education for the College of Human Ecology. His term will begin July 1.

“Lisa has done a phenomenal job leading the College, and I hope to continue the success that she has had here,” he said.

“Alan has considerable experience with the issues at the College and an appreciation for the broad themes at the university level. He is thus well suited to lead the College in the interim as a search for the new dean gets underway,” Martin stated.

After working for Cornell for 30 years, Staiano-Coico reflected fondly on her experiences on Cornell’s campuses in Ithaca and in Manhattan.

“Being a part of the College of Human Ecology has been a tremendous experience, both personally and professionally, and I am very grateful for it … While it is certainly difficult to say goodbye after 30 years, I take with me the confidence and strength of purpose honed by being a part of this amazing Cornell community,” she said in a press release.