Golf Takes Seventh at Towson

The golf team continued its recent success with a seventh-place finish at the Towson Lacrosse Invitational this past weekend. Leading the Red was freshman Robert Cronheim with a ninth-place finish and junior Bret Perry with a 20th-place finish.

Cornell finished in the top-10 both days of the 21-team tournament.

“This is the strongest field we have seen both fall and spring,” said head coach Matt Baughan. “We were able to prove that we are a team to watch.”

Cornell started the first day on a high note, scoring a spring-low 299 and having every player shoot a 76 or lower.

“We weren’t surprised when we shot the 299 because we knew all along we would come up with a good score,” Perry said.

While Cornell ended the first day tied for fifth, the Red struggled through a tougher second day. As a team, the Red shot 304, placing them in a tie for seventh, more than a stone’s throw from tournament champion St. Johns. For Cronheim, the second day proved to be an experience.

“I was honestly scared out of my mind coming into the first teebox on the second day, but I was pleased with the way I started to change over time, our ability for our team to grind it out,” Cronheim said.

Among the field of 21 teams, Ivy League rivals Princeton, Yale, and Colombia also participated in the invitational. The Red finished three strokes ahead of Princeton, showing it can play with the Tigers, who have won six of the previous seven Ivy titles. Cornell also finished a few strokes behind Columbia and Yale.

“Columbia and Yale are the two teams to beat, while Princeton has won the previous Ivy League Championships,” Baughan said. “We are able to see how we stack up against our in league rivals.”

With Cornell, Princeton, Yale and Columbia being within four shots of each other at the Towson Invitational, the Red head into the Yale Invitational on April 7-8 knowing the competition will be tight and that the team must be ready.

“Our goal is the Ivy championship, we must get mentally and physically prepared for the Ivy championship,” Baughan said.