Men's Lax Beats Brown, Wins Ivy Title Outright

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (April 28, 2007) — The No. 1 men’s lacrosse team defeated Brown, 11-8, today, clinching the Ivy League title outright and finishing its conference season with a perfect record (6-0). The win earned Cornell (12-0,6-0 Ivy) its fifth straight Ancient Eight crown and first outright title since 2005. Brown fell to 7-6 (1-4) with the loss.
Junior John Glynn scored three goals and notched an assist for the visiting side, and sophomore Max Seibald netted two goals and added two assists. Seniors Henry Bartlett and Ethan Vedder also scored two goals each for the Red. The Bears’ David Madeira, Alex Buckley and Kyle Hollingsworth each notched two goals, with Madeira adding an assist. Senior co-captain Matt McMonagle made nine saves and Brown’s Jordan Burke stopped 13 shots.
The teams combined to go 0-for-6 on extra-man opportunities, with the Red squandering all four of its chances. Cornell scooped up 39 ground balls, six more than the Brown did, and was 21-of-22 on clears compared to Brown’s 16-of-20 mark.
Going into halftime, the Red had a slender 5-4 lead despite outshooting the Bears, 22-14. Behind five third-period goals Cornell pulled away, and was able to hold the home side to two goals in every period.
The Red plays its last regular-season game against Hobart on Friday, looking to finish its regular season undefeated. For more coverage, read Monday’s edition of The Sun.

Josh Perlin and Cory Bennett contributed to this report.