C.U. Employee Wanted for Assault

According to a crime alert issued by CUPD, at approximately 1:47 p.m. yesterday Joseph B. Rivers, a Cornell temporary employee who works in catering services, assaulted a man in the CC parking lot on North Campus.

According to the male victim, Rivers assaulted him with his fists and may have brandished a weapon. The male victim was treated at Cayuga Medical Center for bruises to his face. A female companion of the victim, who was identified as a Cornell student, was not reported injured. According to police, all three people involved in the incident knew each other.

Rivers is described as a 23 year-old light-skinned African-American male approximately six feet three inches tall. Police are asking anyone with information regarding Rivers’ location to call Cornell Police at 607-255-1111. CUPD declined to comment about the ongoing investigation of Rivers.

This is the second crime reported by police in the Ithaca community to Cornell students in as many weeks. On July 30, the Wilson Farms convenience store located at 409 College Ave. was robbed at gunpoint.

This also marks the second time during summer break that a Cornell employee has been wanted in connection with criminal activity. Barry Shaffer, a Cornell Cooperative Extension educator, was arrested in Novi, Mich. on June 11 for attempting to have sex with a minor.