Student Seats Available For Dalai Lama Event

In a time of war, Ithaca will host a man of peace — his holiness the Dalai Lama, Nobel Prize winner and internationally revered spiritual leader, who will return Oct. 9 to10 after almost two decades for three public speaking events, entitled “Bridging Worlds.”
The three events, at Cornell, Ithaca College and the State Theatre sold out in July, but student tickets are available today, Aug. 20, for the Oct. 9 show at Barton Hall entitled, “A Human Approach to World Peace.” The tickets are available to students in order accommodate the newest members of the Cornell community who arrived on campus this past Friday.
The tickets can be purchased for $20 on www.namgyal.org using a Cornell student ID and password and are limited to two tickets per person. After Sept. 15, remaining tickets will be available for purchase by the general public.
The speaking engagements will be presented by the Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist studies, described by its website as, “the North American Seat of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.” The monastery, an American non-profit organization, is located here in Ithaca. It functions under the guidance of the Dalai Lama and the main Namgyal Monastery in India. Though the monastery in Ithaca is non-sectarian, the monks are educated in all schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Throughout history, the Namgyal Monastery has had a very intimate relationship with the Dalai Lamas.

The Dalai Lama unites the four schools of Tibetan Buddhism: Sakya, Nying-ma, Kaygu, and Geluk. His holiness, as he is often called, is known internationally for advocating world peace. The current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gvatso, who will be coming to Ithaca, is 14th in succession of the title. He received the Nobel Prize in 1990 for promoting non-violence in the Tibetan conflict with the Chinese government in the aftermath of the Chinese communist invasion of Tibet.