Two Late Goals Spell Doom for Men's Soccer at Buffalo

BUFFALO, N.Y. — It happened just like last year: one goal and it was over. Unfortunately for the Red, last year and this year ended in losses. Despite an early lead in the first half, Cornell (3-2) suffered a tough overtime loss to Buffalo yesterday, 2-1.
With just seconds remaining in the game, and a 1-0 Cornell lead, the Bulls’ junior Domenic Oppong scored his first goal of the season and tied up the game. As the two teams’ history could have predicted, the teams again went into the first sudden death overtime period.
The Bulls were given a corner kick not long after the OT kickoff and Buffalo junior Martin John put the ball in the net. It all happened within the span of four minutes and was reminiscent of all the one-goal loses in recent seasons.
“I don’t know how that happened,” said senior Brian Kuritzky. “We went from being up, to being tied, to losing. All within a few minutes. I still don’t really understand what happened.”
The Red started off the game with a lot of pressure in the Bulls’ defensive end. Though somewhat inexperienced competing on a turf field surface, Cornell adapted quickly to the ball moving faster and bouncing higher on the artificial surface.
Once comfortable, the Red possessed the ball better, and strung some passes together.
Sophomore Matt Bouraee’s goal came as a result of this continual and devoted offensive pressure.
“Bouraee snuck in and took full advantage of the miscommunication between their keeper and their defense and was able to give us an early lead,” Kuritzky said.
Bouraee’s goal, however, was not enough to put the Bulls away.
“Of course, we’re extremely disappointed with the outcome of this game. But we’re looking forward to some home support on Wednesday against Colgate,” Kuritzky said.
Senior tri-captain Kyle Lynch made his debut this season after his ankle injury had sidelined him earlier this year, he logged the full 90 minutes plus overtime. Lynch was active on the Red’s defensive line, helping to minimize the number of shots on goal.
“It felt great to get back on the field,” Lynch said. “I didn’t play as well as I hoped, but I have the next few weeks to get back. Luckily, I’m not as badly off as I was worried I might be.”
The game was scrappy, with the two teams combined for 23 total fouls and, conversely, only six combined goalie saves.
Lynch and Kuritzky agreed that the game’s outcome was both surprising and unfortunate, but also concurred in their anticipation for the upcoming home matches.
“It was just a shock and it happened so fast,” Lynch said. “The loss is definitely hard to take, but on the bright side, we get the chance to play in front of our own fans this week.”
“We are looking forward to the chance to redeem ourselves,” Kuritzky said. “We will be bounce back.”